Home, home on the range.

Aaah, I’m home in Moose Jaw again. After 15 weeks on Vancouver Island doing “Singin In The Rain” KJ and I are back.
What a great time we had.  I ended up seeing a lot of friends and family that I never expected to see and most rarely my dad. Now I’m quickly working on 2 projects to fill my time at home while getting back into house routines. I’ll get into that in a second, first let me tell you about the drama that was our drive back to the flat lands.

Our Ford Focus was getting into its 165024th km when we started to feel something was off. At first the drive from Chemainus was going fine. Trips to see last-minute friends in Vancouver, lunches out at some of our favorite restaurants, random surprise run-ins, and new friends with couches in need of balletic maneuvering up stairs and on sidewalks. In fact our journey was dramaless until we reached the great valley between the mountains. Kamloops. The first event was strange but ignorable. I was driving in cruise, when all of a sudden, the car popped out of cruise and refused to go any faster that 80km. It only lasted until I reached the top of this particular hill, then it regained itself, ceased being obstinate, and returned controls back over to me. Oh well, our car was loaded to the max, so maybe it felt a little tired. After switching drivers KJ and I continued on our journey home, this time, just outside of Revelstoke BC, we hit a long weekend traffic jam. Sitting in our car surrounded by the majesty of the mountains, the fact that we were only going 10km/hour did not even phase us. Then the car stopped working. The check battery red light came on, and then the car just died. So, we pulled over and let it sit for a second, compared notes on these two incidents, and decided to take it to a mechanic in Revelstoke. Revelstoke as you may not know, has a reputation of being where cars go when they break down. It is the last stop before a 150km national park, and the second half of the steep, winding rocky mountains we all love to look at. However, this being the end of a long weekend, the maintenance shops were all booked until some time in the future. As well,  the fact that we limped into town at around 4:30 pm meant we were stuck. We did eventually find a mechanic to work on our car the next morning. He was the only one in town that wasn’t as crazy busy. We spent 3 days in Revelstoke exploring, worrying, sightseeing, and spending money. I have to say it is a beautiful town with really friendly people. It is a winter oriented community, with its major draw being the surrounding Ski/Snowboarding mountains. Being at the mercy of this mechanic we had no choice but to wait for our car to be fixed and hope that the bill was not going to be ridiculous. Realizing we would have to pay whatever the bill would be, we were just concerned that the mechanic would come back to us and say sorry your car is unfixable. By the second day we were going through the strategies of how to escape Revelstoke. The biggest problem was not the money necessarily, though spending cash on hotels for 3 nights was not cheap, let alone the hourly rate of a mechanic. Our concern came from the fact that we had all our stuff with us, and I mean all. About 10 bags. We had rented our house out to a family for the summer, so I brought our valuables, as well as all our clothing to Vancouver Island for the contract. It’s funny, there are not very many options when needing to escape Revelstoke. Can’t rent a vehicle one way. Can’t fly. Cant really walk. Can’t bike. Can’t hitch with all that luggage. Can’t ditch all our stuff. Some options were: freight plus bus into Moose Jaw at a cost of 500 dollars (a 26 hour ride), renting a car and driving back to Salmon Arm to rent a car one way to Moose Jaw at a cost of 1000 dollars, buying a sexy run down sedan in Revelstoke at another prohibitive cost, or moving to Revelstoke. After 3 days, we finally got a call from our master mechanic. He told us that after a new 380 dollar battery, a 240 dollar alternator, 9 hours of labour our car is fixed. Please pay 1340 dollars, have a nice day. Blah. We are free!!! So we drive, and drive, and drive. It’s like a dream. The car is running like a new vehicle. We pause in Calgary, to pick up more stuff, and then hit the road. We got into Saskatchewan just as the light was disappearing. The prairie sky was big and welcoming. Then just outside of Swift Current, the car started to give into its tired feelings once more. The battery light started to come on intermittently, then stayed on. We couldn’t believe it. The issue was not the alternator, or the battery, it had something to do with a wiring issue. We hoped our car could make it to Moose Jaw. I was busy looking up how long a battery can go without power feeding it. Not long. So we turned everything off that was drawing power and held off on turning on the headlights for as long as we could. One thing we learned as we were trying to escape Revelstoke, was that CAA won’t tow us home to Moose Jaw until we are within 100 km. So that was our goal. Come on car! I know you’re tired, but come on car! Amazingly our car held steady at 120km/h all the way home. It was an interesting drive to say the least. Our dials would shut down to zero, then come back on at max until finally reading correctly again. Our lights would constantly dim really low, then pop back up. All the while our car was steady. Exciting. Once home KJ and I realized that we could not afford to spend any more money on the car. So we finally sold it to a friend that is gambling on that fact he can figure it out. He hasn’t figured it out yet.

Now that I am back into the rhythm of my house and home, I have to get into my next projects. This Saturday I am heading south to continue filming the Finding Al -A Documentary I have been working on. We are on the road filming in Southern Saskatchewan following the Soo Line down to Chicago. Then we are heading to Ottawa to interview a genealogist. Meanwhile KJ will be sending out all the invites to the teachers for our Who Is Mrs Wilson? show this October. I am looking forward to this because when I return KJ and I will write a new script for the show concentrating on the legacy of Mrs Wilson and her life here in Moose Jaw.

It really is nice to be back in the swing of Moose Jaw again. I have such good memories of my time on Vancouver Island, tapping and singing in the rain. It really rained on stage! I have to say that seeing my family during the summer was a highlight for me. My mother-in-law stayed for a week, my bother-in-law and nieces were able to stay for a couple of days,  and my mom visited from Sechelt, my brother Jake come out for a day, I even had my dad come out to see the show. My dad has not seen me perform in 10 years plus, and because of how hard I worked on this role, it meant the world to me.

Now back to work.

Comments are closed.